Patricia Crump Vocal Competition honors the founder of SOS, and provides a platform for young singers with strong Wisconsin ties to be supported during the crucial beginnings of their careers. The preliminary round will be held virtually, with up to 15 singers advancing to the in-person finals. All finalists will receive $500, Philip Crump Encouragement Award winner(s) will receive $2500, and the winner of the Patricia Crump Grand Prize will receive $5000, for career-related expenses. All finalists are eligible to apply for additional career grants for the next three years, a unique aspect of SOS's commitment to early career singers. These grants are typically designated to assist with musical, dramatic, vocal, and language preparation for auditions, young artist programs, and professional engagements. However, other career related expenses may be considered at the discretion of the board of directors. Please visit our Grants page for more information.
To be eligible to compete, singers:
- Must not be a previous Grand Prize winner of the Patricia Crump Vocal Competition.
- Must have strong Wisconsin ties, such as having been raised in, gone to school in, or currently living in Wisconsin.
- Must be in the beginning stages of their professional careers and not currently under management.
- Must submit a completed application via email by the deadline of Sunday, October 1, 2023.
PRELIMINARY-ROUND VIRTUAL AUDITION
- Completed Application Form.
- One-page chronological resume.
- Digital Photo.
- Recommendation letter from a career professional whom the singer has worked with in the past 12 months.
- Videos – Two arias in contrasting styles and languages performed with piano accompaniment. Videos must be recorded within 12 months of the application deadline and must be made without acoustical enhancement or amplification. Each selection should be filmed in a single take. Videos should show the singer in full view from the audience’s perspective, and the singer’s face should be completely visible. The name of the singer and the title and composer of each aria must be included in the video (title, caption, or announcement). You may opt to submit an oratorio or orchestral piece in lieu of one of the arias. Musical theater and art song are not accepted. The combined length of the two pieces may not exceed 10 minutes. YouTube or Google Drive links preferred.
*Finalists will be announced on our website on Saturday, October 21, 2023, and contacted directly via email.*
The Finals Competition takes place in-person from 11AM to 2PM on Saturday, November 4, 2023 at the Wayne & Kristine Lueders Opera Center, 926 East Burleigh Street, Milwaukee, WI 53212. Singers are asked to prepare 4 arias in the original languages, you may use the same arias as your preliminary audition if you wish. You may include up to 2 oratorio or orchestral pieces in lieu of arias. Musical theater and art song are not accepted. An accompanist will be provided, but singers are welcome to bring their own. The competition will have a small invited audience of management from area opera companies and donors.
Winners will be announced on Monday, November 6, 2023.
2023 IMPORTANT DATES
Sunday, October 1, 2023 Application Deadline
Saturday, October 21, 2023 Finalists Announced
Saturday, November 4, 2023 Finals Competition
Monday, November 6, 2023 Award Winners Announced